Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Attack of the Noise Terror Squad

SILENCE!
Professor Dumbledore hollers to a roomful of young, unruly, freckle-faced future wizards.

Enjoy the Silence…
Exhorts Depeche Mode.

Silence… that elusive silence! Silence… my current quest for the Holy Grail. Silence… is it too much to ask for? I hate to bring myself to face this bitter truth but, yes, it is way too much to ask for.

With 99.9 per cent of the project I’m currently working on having been completed, I no longer need to go through Monday Morning Blues. I can work from home for a better part of the week -- a glorious arrangement envied deeply by Crazy P.

So, I decide to stay home on Monday and curl into bed with Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. But things don’t always go as planned and, like it or not, there are at least two spoilsports for one almost-fortunate person in this world.

So there I was, ready to take a stroll around Frankie’s Sin City when a sudden and confusing disagreeable sound ruins my plans for the day. It takes only a peek out of my bedroom window to realise that a group of extremely vocally challenged beings have united to unleash terror upon the world [or at least the part of Dilli I live in] under the pretext of singing bhajans. [Just a thought -- why is it that every time it’s only the ones who can’t sing insist on singing the loudest during such ceremonies?] Unsynchronised cymbals and drum beats add to the cacophony, threatening to blast my eardrums to kingdom come.

To drown out the noise, I turn on the music at full decibel. I don’t even bother to check which playlist is playing on winamp. I just need some sound to block out the noise outside. Any sound -- barring the one generated outside -- will do; I’m not in a position to be choosy. A few minutes of respite…

And then, the lights go out, followed promptly by that list playing on winamp. And the noise, the cymbals and drums come rushing into my head.

SILENCE!
My brain screams, a scream unheard by the most vocally challenged devotees. The baying continues, so does the unsynchronised clanging of cymbals and drum beats, infiltrating my space, violating my senses.

I lose my sanity for the next many hours, interrupted only for a few minutes by a phone call from the office. And during my hours of insanity, I volunteer to lend my help in ensuring the completion of a project -- anything to stay away from this madness.

After the devotees have [finally!] left, cymbals are packed and drums whisked away, some semblance to normalcy returns, and so does my sanity. It’s then I curse the noise terrorists for my just-around-the-corner Tuesday Morning Blues.

9 Comments:

Blogger aShyCarnalKid said...

Hi there,
Heard a lot about you from Danny !Your writing style is awesome, quite graphic and prolific. I can empathize with you because I used to face what you faced during Saraswati Pooja back at home,when some hoodlums in my colony used to play really loud music(which had nothing to do with pooja) for 3 days straight under the pretext of worshipping the Goddess of Learning.Actually,I face it even now,in my hostel,when some jackass guitar-freak starts playing suddenly and loudly.But in the hostel,I can ask them to keep it down!I hope I did not bore you with my reminiscence .

March 30, 2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Jerusha said...

Bird, this, silence or its lack thereof - is the reason why I'm going to hop into a plane tomorrow and fly to my land of peace and where only people who can sing sing!

Not trying to earn sympathy here, but I think I should mention that next to my apartment building is a Temple, and a couple of stone's throw away is a mosque...believe me, sleeping late on weekends is only for extremely heavy sleepers during marriage/festival seasons - which is pratically the whole year round.

April 03, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

@ Kislay - Thanks for your comment. And thanks to Danny too for his referral ;)

Back home in Gangtok, I had to endure the "Bollywood attack" at least twice a year - once during Saraswati puja and then during Vishwakarma puja as the venues where these pujas are held are pretty close by my place. So I totally understand what you mean.

@ Sundancer - "going to... land of peace where only people who can sing sing"
I so envy you, Sundancer!

There's a temple a few yards away from where I live in Delhi. Sometimes, they keep up the din all night long! Thank God, there're no mosques around!

April 03, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger mnowluck said...

@sundancer: Hyd is no better than Pune i guess when it comes to sounds.... which are not melodious to our ears ... and not silence..

April 03, 2007 6:17 PM  
Blogger Karchoong said...

Now you know how I felt when I was attacked, every night in UP... by Himesh and the wedding dhols!
Jhalak dikhlaaaajaa suckers! Too bad we dont live in Gaul, else we couldve tied them up like Cacophonix, Reshammiya and the entire kindred!

April 05, 2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Amandeep Singh said...

Hey ...first me..listenin to depeche mode...silence too..coincidence :)

And the Noise terrir squad..well I gatta tel ya man..no one could ve been a bigger victim than me..
those fuckos do it whole nte...till the dawns...I dont know what to do..cant read..write....listen...
all I do isput ma headphones on n blast ma ears off...

Poor us!!!!!:)

nice blog u ve gat in here

April 07, 2007 3:01 AM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

@ karchoong, standbymind & raghav - Okay people, let's start a 'Tormented Eardrums Association' :p

April 10, 2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger virgochhas said...

stayed near a mosque in Calcutta...i hate their morning 'Allahhh[s]'...

i dont think God appreciates disturbing other people

:D

April 12, 2007 12:31 AM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Virg, We need someone to handle the publicity wing of 'Tormented Eardrums Association'. Guess I'll soon be sending you a membership form ;)

April 13, 2007 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home