Thursday, January 04, 2007

Still alive… and kicking

The last time this blog saw an update was back in The Year of Our Lord, Two Thousand and Six. Those were the ten glorious months of opting to stay away from any activity that [literally] paid – such as a full time job, or even a part-time one for that matter.

Those were the golden days of spending quality [and quantity] time with my computer; browsing through some interesting [and some not so interesting] blogs all day, and posting some interesting and some not so interesting blog entries [like this current one] all night [sleeping was something someone’s grandma did, not your truly!]

Life has changed – that too in two short months – after I packed my backpack and left home. Gone are the days. Those glorious days. Those gloriously lazy days of bumming around in the blogosphere. And in these two short months, I’ve made my acquaintance with something I always managed to ignore – or even taken for granted – certain activities, like, changing my linen, doing the laundry/ dishes, etc., [you get the picture] because there were always others around to do it for me.

I guess that’s a part of what you call being ‘responsible’, or being an adult. So far, I’d managed to remain a kid, minus the diapers. Now, it’s ‘hello reality, hello dirty diapers, hello cleaning detergent’. And most importantly, it’s ‘hell-o 9 to 5’. Again.

I think my folks back home would get a minor heart attack if they saw me now. In these two months, I’ve undertaken a crash course in household chores [don’t worry, mom, I haven’t yet learnt how to cook. By the way, does switching on the rice cooker count?].

I’m a dish jockey: Yes, now I dare to bear the chilly Delhi winter water to do the dishes because I really am not crazy about hiring weird looking bais, which means I don’t really have a choice but to roll up my sleeves and get down and dirty.

I got my chops: Hang on, people! I’m soon to get a PhD in chopping vegetables. I’m getting really good at it. Cross my heart. But chopping onions still makes my eyes teary and my nose red.

Laundry service: I’m even washing my clothes myself because I still do not earn enough to afford a decent washing machine and I don’t like the idea of EMIs. And I hate Shakira for falsely portraying doing laundry as sexy as belly dancing. Someone sue that bitch!

Bed shit: And, yes, I make the bed everyday… well almost everyday. And change the linen too [almost forgot to mention that!]

Back to the grind: And two weeks back, I even almost made it to the office on time. What idiot made the dastardly rule that office hours should begin at 9 frigging 30 AM!

Anyways, I’m still alive and kicking the dirty dishes. And, barring the early morning weird office hours, life’s not really that bad!

17 Comments:

Blogger Mizohican said...

Welcome backkkkkk dear (((((hugssss))))))

So what exactly are you doing right now? Or should I wait for the year 2008 for you to reply to this comment again? :-)

January 05, 2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger Karchoong said...

thikai chha ta anta, tyo dhudi pari sakeko mocha ra undoos harulai alik ghaam ta lagney bhayo!
BTW bulletproof-raman.blogspot.com pani chha hai aajkal!

January 07, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Illusionaire - Thanks, dear. And no, you won't have to wait that long either. See! :)

As for what I'm doing here, even I'm trying to figure that part out. Will let you know when I'm done doing that ;)

Baldy - K kura garcha hau yo mula! Dhudi pari sakeko mocha ra undoos haru ta uhiley nai gundruk banai, bottle garera rakheko chu. Pathai deun timi lai ek bottle?

Aich! Raman ko blog? La la... abo ma usko blog hernu gako

January 08, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Mizohican said...

and ofcourse you'll be updating your blog frequently right? :)

January 08, 2007 4:11 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Will try my best to do that if laziness doesn't get in the way, Illusionaire :p

January 08, 2007 4:16 PM  
Blogger virgochhas said...

Look whoz back....Look whoz backkkkk....

thank gawd...

now itz high time u learn cookin' :P lolzz....

9:30 am..??? Congrats :D

January 08, 2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger Bulletproof Raman said...

Hey,
While you're polishing your Dish-Jockying skills even as you polish 'em dishes, I for one am new to blogging, "photo- kheeching" not to mention filling out irritating online fill-out appelets like this one.
Still, it encouraging to know that you like some of the photos. Thanks.
Yes, I still have to learn how to add friends and other such cyber rituals one usually does, and the's where the Bald headed 'Papa' Hermit will come to the rescue, I guess.
Happy New Year!

January 08, 2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Virg - To Cook or Not To Cook. That's going to be the next bestseller by your's truly :p
Learn to cook? Ummm... I shall meditate on that and then get back to you ;)

Bulletproof Raman - Yep, it's a drag, esp. the word verification thingy on your right. Even Baldy used to hate it once upon a time [not so long ago]. But then, you get used to it, just like you get used to that constant drilling sound - that too in the middle of the night - coming from the Community Hall ;)
Happy New Year!

January 09, 2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jerusha said...

where'd my comment go???!

January 11, 2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

@ Sundancer - *scratches head*

January 12, 2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Mizohican said...

Totally unrealted though, on behalf of my good friends, let me invite you to the holy matrimonial of our fellow blog-mates John (Tribal Superstar) and Marina (diddley) on the 25th of this month at Zarkawt Prebyterian Hall, Aizawl, Mizoram.

I know you can't come all the way here, but I thought I'll just let you know :)

January 15, 2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

@ Illusionaire - Thanks dear. Had stumbled upon the good news on John's blog a few days back. Aren't they the sweetest couple! :)

January 16, 2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger Bulletproof Raman said...

Hey,
just checking to see if the bed shit and other assorted lethal weapons have killed you yet.
Big-but-not-quite-Bald Headed keeps changing his mind about the UP trip about 100 times a day. Why are we not at all surprised?

January 25, 2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger Karchoong said...

I see, so the Bulletproofed one does talk about me! haha!

Wylde!!! Title this entry OUT COLD & NOT-KICKING-ANYMORE!

January 29, 2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Bulletproof Raman - Still alive and kicking myself, my friend.

As far as long-haired Baldy's legendary indecisiveness is concerned, is there any need to be surprised at all? ;)


Baldy - FYI, a new blog entry will be posted soon. By this evening, if possible. Now stop mocking me!!

January 29, 2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger mnowluck said...

Your post reminds me of my first day in Shillong!!!! when i first tried my hands on cooking.. its' fun.. LOL!

February 16, 2007 2:41 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

And your comment, dear mnowluck, reminds me of that time when I tried my untrained hands at cooking rice for the first time last year in December. To say my first dabblings in the culinary art was 'disastrous' would be putting it way too mildly :D

February 23, 2007 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home