Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Week Three Rawked!

Last week sucked but tonight was definitely different. Seems like the ‘rockers’ have finally decided to pull their act together. Most probably they were made to sit down and watch a rerun of last week’s Rockstar: Supernova performance episode. Well, good for them, and good for us too because things were definitely looking and sounding better this time around. However, let that statement fool no one because not all of the performances were kick-ass.

After a catfight with Jill, Patrice got Helter Skelter. The fight for the song was passionate, the performance itself was not. It was not a bad performance, but it wasn’t anything that would make anyone sit up and take notice either.
Verdict: Lukewarm

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I saw Josh bent out of shape to get his hands on Nirvana’s Come As You Are, I panicked! Josh and Nirvana? I grew up listening to Nirvana; I own every single Nirvana album [as well as some bootlegged ‘rare’ numbers]; I was devastated when Kurt Cobain blew his brains out; I hate people who cite Nirvana as one of their favourite bands when the only Nirvana music they’ve heard is MTV Unplugged, and may be Smells Like Teen Spirit; and I definitely hate people who mess up a Nirvana song. I’m sorry I watched that performance. It was a total disaster, a catastrophe. What was that forced raspy sound all about? I just hope Kurt didn’t see it from wherever he is.
Verdict: Freezing! Get off the fucking stage and go home, kid. You don’t belong here. And if I ever happen to run into you, I’m gonna chop your balls off!

Why does Storm remind me of Ginger Spice? Her rendition of Just What I Needed was nice. Neat job. But still I don’t see her as fronting Supernova. And I also feel all that facial gyration was unnecessary.
Verdict: Warm

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lukas Rossi. Ah! This guy and Dilana are in a league of their own. He let other contestants get into catfights and brawls during song selection and settled for Let's Spend the Night Together – a ‘leftover’ nobody wanted. Then he put a punk spin on this Rolling Stones classic and totally nailed it. I don’t care if the guy’s not exactly a looker, not to mention rude and arrogant. I’m in love.
Verdict: Damn Hot!

I know that ‘great things come in small packages’ adage is clichéd to the core but hell, Jill makes me wanna say it. This girl can sing. That Hole debacle last week was just a nightmare. She sang All Right Now and I couldn’t help but agree. Yeah, Jill baby, you’re all right now.
Verdict: Hot

Ryan Star. CCR’s Fortunate Son. Why do I get the feeling that the guy’s struggling within every time I watch him perform. He sings well but something is so not right about him.
Verdict: Lukewarm

Tonight Phil gave his best ever performance with White Rabbit. I was surprised, I have to admit. With Jason Newstead himself on the bass tonight, he could have been easily overshadowed. But he was not; he held his own. Not that I adore this guy but I’ve a newfound respect for Phil now.
Verdict: Warm

Dana. Dana. Dana. I really feel bad for her. She’s got good voice – great in fact. But she’s like a lost little girl here – trying to be something she’s not. That rendition of It’s My Life was the worst I ever heard.
Verdict: Cold

Toby, you disappoint me. That was a pretty lifeless performance of a hella good song. C’mon, Runaway Train is one of the classics from the grunge era. Though I liked the way he wrapped up the song.
Verdict: Cold

I loved Stone Temple Pilots. I totally loved STP’s Core back in the 1990s. I do not love Magni because his rendition of Plush made me cringe.
Verdict: Cold

Oh gawd! It’s that time of the show again when Zayra shows up and does something strange! This time she does something strange to REM’s Everybody Hurts. The arrangement is like totally weird. But the last few seconds of the song are actually good. I don’t know whether to kinda like the performance or completely loathe it. Tonight she was a cross between Bjork and Sinead O’Conner. I don’t really understand what’s the deal with this chick! And I don’t know what’s the deal with Supernova either. Did they say they regretted saying she should have gone home last week instead of Chris?
Verdict: None. I'm still in a shock!

Jenny from Canada does Incubus’ Drive. By the way, I totally love the video for this number. Yeah, I’m a total sucker for illustration and animation. Okay, back to Jenny and her guitar, and a few pitch problems. Totally unimpressive.
Verdict: Zzzzzzzz

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When they said The Cranberries’ Zombie was on the list, I was hoping Dilana would pick it up. And she did. Among the thirteen, only she could have done justice to that song. She put on her own spin to it and did an amazing job. Dolores O' Riordon would have been impressed too. This chick is fucking amazing – awesome raspy vocals, great stage presence. She’s the only ‘threat’ to Lukas in this audition.
Verdict: Scorching!

Dilana and Lukas to the finals!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jerusha said...

Wah!!Bird, I'm about ready to bawl my ass off, somebody with great power hates me..the way my life's been going :(((
Got home super early tonight, got nice and comfy with the TV, then guess who's cable decides to go on a blinking spree?? Life sucks!

July 20, 2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

It does, doesn't it! Well, how about some brush & floss therapy?? :p

July 20, 2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger Jerusha said...

Screw those! I need something more..um, physical? LOL!

July 20, 2006 11:55 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Something more physical? Umm... okay, I got it!! You mean exercise, don't you? Yeah! Sweat it out :p

July 21, 2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger virgochhas said...

"I'm in love" ?????

thank Gawdd American Idol and Supernova dose'nt air at the same time :P

still havent seen a single episode... thanks to the posts here... :)

July 21, 2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Virg, I’m already so over Chris. Yawn… :p Plus I’ve always had a thing for bad boys. They’re way more fun – that’s if you’re not thinking long-term.

What? Still no lights/cable TV? My plans to move to Delhi now stands cancelled ;)

July 21, 2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger tribalsuperstar said...

wheee weeee ... am free at last ..... good to be back. Hell yeah !!! DILANA all the way.. She rocks. She represents a true Chick Rocker ... ahhhh ... actually "rocker". She's GO all the way ....

July 21, 2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Good to see ya back, Supastar :) Yup, Dilana is H.O.T. But so is Lukas *GRIN*

July 23, 2006 12:14 AM  
Blogger tribalsuperstar said...

Lukas reminded of my college days years ago.But he's cool. good character..... Am sure he's seen my flick somewhere ... lolz ... the rest its up to u to think ... :D haha

July 24, 2006 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home