Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rockstar: Supernova ~ Week Four

Okay, let me start off my week four Rockstar: Supernova recap by dissing Supernova a bit. Why make up a list of songs – including those from Blind Melon, Nirvana and Live – for the contestants to pick up when Supernova is [I think] not going to sound like those bands? If the band really wants to know whether the contestants can or cannot do their kind of songs, they better give them a choice of songs that sound similar to the kind of stuff they are gonna do as Supernova.

Several contestants have changed their style to fit the band and the outcome hasn’t always been good. In this week’s reality segment of the show aired last night, the contestants claimed to have finally got the feel of what Supernova will sound like. Tonight’s performance did little to substantiate that claim as far as some contestants are concerned.

Tonight’s performance episode started off with one of my favourite contestants [Lukas Rossi] doing one of my favourite songs [The Verve’s Bitter Sweet Symphony]. On the Hotness Meter, Lukas was scorching. I’m downloading that performance for sure. On last night’s show, he had totally nailed the chorus writing bit. Dear ol’ Chucky has a wicked song sense!

Zayra, this week, was ready for X-Men 4 in full body blue latex tights. I really do hope Brian Singer/ Brett Ratner were watching this show because, as Dave Navarro commented, she was ready for an ‘intergalactic travel’, not a Supernova world tour. Oh just in case for some strange reason you want to know what she sang this week, it was Blondie’s Call Me, and the performance was pretty much like her Kink’s act on week two. This goes out to Singer or Ratner or even ET – please call her and take her off this show. Pleeeaaassseeee!

Dana Andrews finally nailed it tonight with Nirvana’s About A Girl. Phew! That was some major transformation from ‘Celine Dion extravaganza’ to brooding rocker chick. By the way, is there an unwritten law somewhere that if you want to be accepted / commit suicide, you should pick up a Nirvana song? I love Nirvana but can we please have a Nirvana-free week sometimes?

I don’t know why but I’ve never really liked Patrice. And to me it seems like she’s doing the same thing over and over again, week after week. I was not at all impressed with her rendition of The Black Crows’ Remedy, a song that used to be continuously on my playlist during the last decade. But I have to agree with Patrice here; this girl is in serious need of some remedy.

Toby Rand’s rendition of Billy Idol’s White Wedding this week was good. The judges loved it but I can’t say I loved it though it was way better than last week’s Runaway Train. I like this guy; he’s got strong vocals but tonight it seemed more like a cover act to me.

I know this is total blasphemy but I’ve only heard The Wallflower’s version of Heroes, not David Bowie’s. And I liked Magni’s rendition of the song though I felt he needs to chuck that guitar and work the stage instead as usual.

The judges went gaga over his stage performance tonight but personally I didn’t like what Ryan Star did with Live’s I Alone, vocally that is. Though the guy was grinning a lot this week and even claimed to have enjoyed doing the whole thing, I’m yet to be convinced. I just can’t shake the feeling that he’s oh-so-unhappy and uncomfortable with only-he-knows-what.

Jill Gioia had the opportunity shine with The Rolling Stones’ Brown Sugar this week with Gilby Clark joining her on guitars. Instead she chose to go for sexy posturing. Gilby was right on the mark when he said her gyrating on him during the performance was unnecessary and she should have relied on her vocal abilities instead of pulling off such cheap antics to garner attention. When people try too hard, they come off as fake; it made Jill look desperate.

Next on was Phil Ritchie with The Wallflowers’ One Headlight. He pretty much did what he’d done last week. Though they had loved it last week, it didn’t sit too well with the judges this time. The guy’s okay but just not right for Supernova. He needs to form his own band and do some alt-rock kind of stuff.

Time for another confession. I have only heard Matchbox 20’s version of Time After Time, not Cyndi Lauper’s, and Dilana did the Cyndi version. Perfect song delivery. I’m impressed as usual, though I don’t get her fashion sense!

Josh Logan really needs to go home. I know there are a lot of people who love this ‘soul’ guy but he doesn’t belong here. If Shannon Hoon hadn’t died from a drug overdose, he would surely have died tonight of heart failure. Once again Josh successfully massacred another song – No Rain – from one of my favourite bands. It’s not sane to keep him in the competition, folks!

I loved Storm Large’s performance of Anything Anything. Vocally, she did nothing different – even the facial gyrations seemed like a carry-over from last week – but this song really suited her. And ooohh… I loved the stage dive she did at the end. That was totally unexpected and awesome. I think tomorrow’s encore is hers.

Picks for the bottom three – Josh, Zayra, Patrice. Well, Zayra is still my pick for the contestant who seriously needs to go home, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the last of Josh either.

2 Comments:

Blogger virgochhas said...

for the first time, last nite i watched Supernova...

and it is not at all wat i haf expected...

the contestants are not at all good and da judges are funny...

Dave Navarro was hot, as usual and Tommy is definitely funny...

i hope Zayra will get da boot...for ur sake, bird... :D

July 27, 2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

So someone finally got to watch Rockstar: Supernova it seems ;)

Did you say "the contestants are not at all good" Virg? I beg to disagree. There are some really talented people in the show and then there are some who have no business being there.

As for Zayra getting the boot, after Week 4 result show, I don't know anymore... Maybe the band deserves her as their front[wo]man for the stunt they pulled tonight!

July 27, 2006 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home