Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It’s raining comic books, hallelujah!

Insomnia sure has its plus points, I must say. The all nighter I pulled with my PC last night somehow landed me in this happy place loaded with an entire issue of Virgin Comics #0 – that is 24 pages of prelude to Virgin ComicsDevi and Ramayan Reborn. The storylines and characters for both these titles are based on ancient Indian mythologies.

Ramayan Reborn is a hot piece of work, both in terms of artwork and storytelling. Ravana, or rather his headgear, reminds me of Magneto. Similarly, the origin of the ultimate bad guy in Devi draws a close parallel to Lucifer’s pride and his rebellion.

The artwork is cool. No wonder the team’s headed by Jeevan J. Kang, he of the Spider-Man: India fame. The Virgin Comics team boasts of names like Deepak Chopra, Shekhar Kapur, top brass from Gotham Entertainment Group [read Sharad Devarajan and Suresh Seetharaman, the names we pay homage to every time we flip open the cover page of Gotham publications], among others. Snakewoman and The Sadhu are some of the other titles from the Virgin stable, as per ign.com and virgin.com.

Come July 12 and these monthly comic magazines start hitting the stands one by one. Now if only I could get my hands on ‘em [which I probably won’t keeping in mind it’s pretty hard to get new comic books here]. Bangalore is so goddamn blessed! I’m greener than Hulk with envy!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mizohican said...

Hmmmm... Virgin! Me like.
*Stupid Grin*

July 05, 2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Illusionaire, you are too much! LMAO! Somebody please gag this guy before I'm forced to rate my blog XXX :p

July 06, 2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Mizohican said...

I was talking about the virgin comics!!!! What were you thinking?????? I'm appalled!!!! :-P

July 06, 2006 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please dear can you find out about phantom comics for me? I have been looking for them for the past 15 years. But I would want them in hand as in printed ones - not on the net.

July 07, 2006 6:23 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Phantom comics have disappeared from bookstores. Wow, I don't even remember when I last saw one! So as far as getting hardcopies of these comic books are concerned, ebay is the only place I can suggest :(

However, if you’re not that averse to reading comic books online, you should visit http://thecomicproject.blogspot.com. I don’t know who this guy is but he and his friends have taken the trouble to scan loads and loads of Phantom comic books and upload them to this blog. You can of course always download and print them if you don’t like reading them online.

July 07, 2006 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home