Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Da Vinci Code 'Does Not Meet Hype'

The glamour and buzz surrounding Ron Howard's celluloid adaptation of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, it appears, is going to be short-lived. Following its opening screening at the Cannes Film Festival on 17 May [the film releases in India tomorrow], the critics have given their verdicts - the film fails to live up to the hype that surrounded Brown's novel!

The online edition of BBC News today carried a round-up of critics' views. All of whom are unanimous in almost entirely writing off the movie. You can click on the headline of today's post to go to the BBC page.

Most often than not, film adaptations of novels never really do justice to the book. Take for instance, Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity / Supremacy . My pulse raced while I read Ludlum's books and I couldn't put the books down till I reached the last page. However, the films just didn't do it for me. I, for one, felt Matt Damon was not fit to play the role of Jason Bourne. Then the scriptwriters went on to streamline the plot of the novel. And then they left out the final plot twist!
Another good example [I guess] is the film adaptation of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Although I admit not to have read LOTR [oh, blasphemy! LOL!] and yet loved the movie series, The Madman from Aizwal tells me the films are no where near the book.

But then, there are always exceptions. Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Dr. Hannibal Lecter as an ingenious, cultured psychiatrist and resourceful serial killer in the Hannibal triology, adapted from Thomas Harris' novels, is awesome, making Dr. Lecter the number one film villain of all time and winning the film and actors a good number of Academy Awards for SiIence of the Lambs. Though the scriptwriters have changed the controversial ending of Dr. Lecter and Agent Sterling becoming lovers and escaping to Argentina in Hannibal, it hardly does any damage to the plot.

And, before it slips off my mind, I'd recently read somewhere that the fourth in the Hannibal series, titled Behind the Mask, is to be published this year and filmed as Young Hannibal. 2006 is going to be a great year it seems, books and movie-wise. I can barely wait to watch X-3: The Last Stand scheduled for a 26 May release in India.

Another film adaptation of a book I absolutely love is Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting, hailed as "The voice of punk, grown up, grown wiser and grown eloquent" by Sunday Times.

Oh, gawd! I've been going on and on and on, haven't I? What''s wrong with me!!!


3 Comments:

Blogger virgochhas said...

The Da Vinci Code - funnily, i havent read da book...i mean, am reading it now ( wanna read it b4 watching the movie) :D

The Bourne Identity - I totally agree with u. The novel was great but when i saw the movie, i got so pissed dat so many things wer changed, i didnt even finish watching it.

The Bourne Supremacy - I havent read the book so the movie's nice :D

The Lord of The Rings trilogy - tell da Madman from Aizawl to shove the thick book up his a**... all the way up his a** ... for a book dat thick, they covered so much of it and barely missed out much... itz a great book and great movies... and yes, i have read it...

all those Hannibal books - I havent read dem but the movies are nice

anywayz... cant wait to finish reading Da Vinci COde and cantw ait to watch it... :)

May 19, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Quote :: tell da Madman from Aizawl to shove the thick book up his a**... all the way up his a** ... :: Unquote

Aww... that sounds painful! LOL! But then I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion :D So chill, Virg, chill! LMAO!

May 19, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Okay, I screwed up. No, actually, they screwed up. So, The Da Vinci Code will hit the Indian theatres only on 26 May, along with X3: The Last Stand and Fanaa

By the way, a friend who somehow got hold of a bootlegged DVD of The Da Vinci Code says the movie is a total waste of time. Aww..

May 25, 2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home