Saturday, April 08, 2006

CHINK MAJOR

Chink, Chinkie or Chinky offensive slang > noun 1. Offensive terms for a person of Chinese descent. The term is thought to have come from a mispronunciation of the Chinese word Chung-Kuo, meaning China.
2. (In India) Any person bearing Mongoloid features, especially those from the North Eastern states.


I was going through a Linkin Park message board today on MySpace. There, some jerk had posted something to this effect: “Don’t let Chink Minor bully you (LP) guys” - an allusion obviously directed at Mike Shinoda, his American Japanese lineage and his side project Fort Minor. Reading that made me wonder if I need to enroll myself in an anger management class!

That said, those who have not yet watched Fort Minor’s ‘Where’d You Go’ video can catch it on yahoo. Here’s the link http://music.yahoo.com/ar-24143734-videos - Fort-Minor It’s a nice video starring real people sharing their real life stories. I know, I know, I’m doing some FM promotion here for Shinoda dear ;)

I guess that’s also my way of getting back at that stupid guy who posted that stupid message on the LP MySpace message board. Why? Because I hate the word ‘chink’. It’s damn offensive, and racist too. But this is one derogatory term people from North Eastern parts of India have to put up with every time they go to other parts of their ‘own’ country. This is not to say all ‘mainstream’ Indians view North Eastern people as ‘strange’ and aliens. But then morons are not in short supply here and stupidity always rears its ugly head. So, this is for all the people who look at ‘Chinks’ as strange / inferior / sex objects – screw you very much. Rot in hell, you moronic, xenophobic, racist pigs!


Yesterday, I bumped into this UNI report on how soccer star Bhaichung Bhutia (another 'Chink') was served an arrest warrant on 6 April after he failed to appear before the court to identify the thief of his luggage! This is frigging unbelievable! I’ll copy paste the news item here in its entirety:

Arrest warrant against Bhutia
April 07, 2006 12:36 IST

National soccer icon Baichung Bhutia on Thursday said it is humiliating to get arrested in order to get back the possession of his own luggage, lost in transit while returning from a tournament a couple of years back.
A district judge on Thursday issued an arrest warrant against Bhutia for failing to appear before the court to identify an alleged thief who stole his luggage in a train. Sadhan Mondal, first judicial magistrate of Howrah, directed the Salt Lake police to produce Bhutia on May 20.
"It’s really humiliating to get arrested for getting back my possession," Bhutia said in Kolkata on Thursday.
"I, however, do not have any official communication on it. I came to know about it from the media. What kind of system is this. I heard that the luggage had been recovered but might be lying with the police. A few weeks ago an officer came to me carrying the summon issues by the court," he added.
The national soccer captain had lost his luggage on Howrah-Chennai Coromandel Express on October 31, 2002, and a case was filed with the Shalimar GRP station.
"I regretted my inability to turn up on the given date owing to my professional commitment. The police officer asked me to confirm it in writing on the back of the summon letter. I did it. But at that point I did not know it was illegal and this is what I have to face," he said.
A person, Harekrishna Ghorui, was arrested on the charge of the theft and Bhutia had been summoned several times for identifying him and to depose in the matter. But as Bhutia had not appeared before the court, a warrant of arrest was issued against him on Thursday by the district court.
Bhutia said the luggage stolen had some important papers that belonged to his wife Madhuri and some other documents very dear to him.


Talk about justice! Shall we call it another ‘chink’ in the Indian judicial system?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jerusha said...

I'd tell people I look 'oriental', I look 'far-eastern', never mongoloid! hell, 'oriental' and 'far-eastern' sounds far more exotic than 'mongoloid'...it's like how it sounds way nicer when you say 'I'm not very tall' instead of saying 'I'm plain short'.
Good post there!

April 20, 2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger virgochhas said...

ma uncle was a boxer and used to play for the state...

wenever dey play out of Mizoram and ppl ask him 'where r u from?'(thinkin' e is a foreigner)..e alwayz answered 'am from the far east..."

:)

April 21, 2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger virgochhas said...

where'd u go...love dat song...

a miss u so
seems like itz been 4everrrrrr

April 22, 2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger MockingBird said...

Where'd You Go is a nice song. But the song that made me sit up and take notice was 'Kenji'. I hope they're doing something about making a Kenji video.

April 22, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Mizohican said...

"Kenji" Love that song!!!!! sad sad song indeed.

Yeah I had more than enough of my experience with being called a chinkie. But as I was brought up in South India, the word really doesnt offend me anymore. All my life people called me chinky when they pass by me on a bike or in pubs etc... I realized that if i get angry, these people are achieving what they set out to do. So now I just smile back or look at them with no expression. I dont hate the word anymore. Coz by venting out our anger, we are becoming the very thing that we loathe: A victim of racism usually becomes a racist himself. And that is not how things should be.

May 18, 2006 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home